So glad you stopped by. Come on in and I’ll make us some tea.
Maybe we should talk a while to get to know each other. I’ll go first. Since I love lists, I’ll share one with you.
32 Facts about me:
1. Both sets of my grandparents emigrated to America from Greece.
2. When I was five, we visited Greece for six months and I got kicked by a cow. Gus told me the cow wouldn’t hurt me. Gus was wrong.
3. We once had two rabbits named the Lone Ranger and Tonto. They were really for my Grandpa’s grocery store, but no one told me.
4. As a little girl I used to climb onto a comfy chair at my Aunt Jeanette’s house to read Robert Louis Stevenson’s book, A Child’s Garden of Verses. And I got hooked.
5. Never got a Chatty Cathy doll, but I did have a Tiny Tears.
6. I realized my love for writing when I won a writing contest in the 5th grade.
7. I tried out for a musical and made it, but never sang a note.
Growing up fast
8. Losing my mother when I was sixteen changed my life, but it also made me who I am today.
9. Training to be a grocery cashier, I once chased a customer out of the store over a couple packages of Koolaid. I was not fired.
10. I married my husband on his three day pass from the army and we moved to Germany.
11. I first learned how to drive a car when I was 34 and actually drove on the Autobahn in Europe.
12. I once broke my little finger trying to stop the sled my son and I rode. I do not recommend using your hand for stopping sleds. I’m totally against it.
13. The best souvenir I brought home from Germany was my infant daughter.
14. I once memorized and recited the first chapter of James and the whole book of I John to pay for half my trip to Israel.
15. In Israel, I floated in the dead sea, had communion outside the garden tomb and climbed Masada.
16. I also rode a camel and a donkey. No, not at the same time.
17. I returned to school after a twenty-five year leave, and graduated with honors.
18. In one of my Psychology classes, I once held a human brain in my hands.
20. I once turned down an offer from Dayspring Card Company.
21. One of my poems, I’d Marry You Again, was shown on Extreme Makeover House Edition.
24. My sister was the victim of domestic violence. I wrote about her story in BROKEN: A Story of Abuse and Survival.
25. Since 2012, I have published nine books, my memoir, children’s books, and a poetry grief book.
26. One of my articles, Don’t Make These 3 Mistakes When Giving, reached 32K people and was one of their top posts in 2014.
27. I am a nervous driver, but a terrible passenger. See number 11.
28. You will not find me gardening. Nope.
29. I hate the cold. No really, I’m serious I HATE it.
30. I am tenacious, although my family spells it – s t u b b o r n.
31. I am technologically challenged. Ask my daughter.
32. I am a published author, poet, and speaker, but my favorite name is Grandma.
Well the water’s boiling again. Ready for a second cup? Let me bring out some cookies.